Thursday, July 2, 2015
Monday, June 29, 2015
50 years of marriage
43 Years of ministry
Mrs. Lee Ann Gray and Hubby
3 Great grandsons
The question I am asked most as I travel are questions regarding the family. Never in our lifetime have the truths about the family been more important than now. The family is under attack from every direction. We are at a crossroads in our society, and pastors must lead the way in having a godly and principled home life.
For three weeks Mrs. Gray and I will be sharing what we taught in our home and how we dealt with issues that affected our family. This free three week class could be life-changing, but certainly will be helpful to those who avail themselves of it. I hope you will join us.
PLEASE GO TO WWW.IBAPTISTCOLLEGE.ORG AND YOU WILL FIND A LINK ON THE FRONT PAGE WHERE YOU MAY REGISTER.
CLASS BEGINS JULY 2, 2015, AT 7 PM CT. PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS FREE THREE WEEK ON LINE CLASS!
Saturday, June 27, 2015
My Supreme Confidence in My Supreme God in Spite of this "Supreme" Court
Have you ever heard the saying, "It ain't over until the fat lady sings?" Well, I have some amazing news my dear troubles Christians. It ain't over until our Lord decides it is over.
I have received so many notes from Christians who are troubled almost to the point of despair over yesterday's court ruling. While I am not happy with what those five individuals ruled (four dissented) I am far from discouraged about it. In fact I am energized.
- I am energized that God is in control.
- I am energized that nothing happens that God does not allow.
- I am energized that truth is still truth and a court cannot change that.
- I am energized that I am saved and on my way to Heaven.
- I am energized that we may be counted worthy suffer for His name.
- I am energized that the Gospel still saves souls and I plan on sharing that Gospel with someone today.
- I am energized that my name is written in Heaven
- I am energized that I am blood bought and blood washed.
- I am energized that no one can separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus.
- I am energized that I have been given the honor of serving Him for over 40 years.
- I am energized for the victories won and those still to be won.
- I am energized that I am still able to preach His Word.
- I am energized that one day every knee shall bow and confess that He is Lord.
- I am energized that God never changes, in spite of how we do.
- I am energized that I am able to being to an old fashioned independent Baptist church that still preaches the truth.
- I am energized that I know I am on the winning side.
You see, over these years this old preacher has seen what God can do. I have tried to be faithful, but God has always remained faithful. I did not wake up discouraged this morning.
- I woke up energized with the founding of Independent Baptist Online College that is being raised up to train another generation of preachers.
- I woke up energized with a goal of helping plant 5,000 churches in the next 10 years.
- I woke up energized by a conference call that Russell Anderson and I will be conducting this afternoon with dozens of my pastor friends.
- I woke up energized by more goals at almost 70 years of age than I had when I was 29, 30, 49, or 59.
- I woke up energized by another new book I am writing on the ministry philosophies of my mentor, Dr. Jack Hyles.
My discouraged friend, stop wallowing in your sorrow and start working for your Savior. As Abraham of old did for Sodom, I plan to keep going to the Lord on behalf of this nation. I am not riding off into the sunset. I am going off to war. We need every soldier to gird their loins with the truth and stay in the battle.
America is in trouble, but that means we must bear down even more on behalf of our nation. As the Lord said to Joshua, "Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." That is my charge to all of us.
Friday, June 26, 2015
Hi, my name is Bob Gray, Sr. Please take time to visit iBaptistCollege.org. Over 40 years ago as a married man with a family and a career I left everything and moved my family to Hammond, Indiana, to enroll in Hyles-Anderson College and to study under the ministry of a great man Dr. Jack Hyles as well as Hyles-Anderson College. In those early days of the college a large percentage of the students were older men like me, with families.
Today most Bible colleges are filled with young people who are just out of high school. I believe that for them going away to college is a very important and a necessary part of their spiritual development. I support these colleges fully and encourage every young adult to choose and attend one of them with the counsel of their parents and pastor. This program is NOT designed for recent high-school graduates!
However there is a void today that no college is adequately filling. That void is providing an education to married men and women who cannot leave and go away, but who feel called to ministry. I have spoken to many pastors and in almost every case they have one or more such men in their churches. Some of these are men who were called, but never were able to go away to college. Some started but for whatever reason never finished. This will help those married men whom their pastor feels would not be in their best spiritual interest to go away to college.
God has placed it upon my heart and some other men to begin a college that would help to fill that void. Independent Baptist Online College is a college that is beginning in the fall of 2015 with a goal of training mature men for the gospel ministry under the leadership of their local church pastor. Now you can get a college degree and very soon earn your post graduate degrees through webinar classes taught by seasoned men who have not just learned their subject in a classroom, but lived it in the ministry. This education will be affordable and flexible. It will allow individuals to take classes to further their education or to obtain a college degree. All of this will be under the leadership of the local pastor who knows the student better than anyone. Your local pastor will have to recommend you for Independent Baptist Online College.
Thank you for taking time from your schedule to check us out here online. Take some time to see what we are offering and then prayerfully decide if Independent Baptist Online College is for you. We offer a very unique opportunity to start and finish or to finish something that perhaps you already had started. In any case God bless you. Oh, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thursday, June 25, 2015
Friday, June 19, 2015
Why the Need for an Online College?
In the Fall of 1972 Hyles Anderson College became a reality. It was privilege for me to be a part of those early days and to graduate in 1976 with the first four year class of HAC. I was not a Christian High School or Homeschool graduate. I was a married man, with children who had already attended Michigan State University with an accounting and general business major. I had already begun a career with General Motors as an accountant. I was a layman in my local American Baptist church, but something happened to change all of that. I surrendered to full time service shortly after that I was exposed to two men, Dr. John R Rice and Dr. Jack Hyles. Their influence would change the direction of my entire life and family.
One day, my wife and I packed up our family and our belongings and moved to Hammond, Indiana, not only to enroll in Hyles Anderson College, but primarily to sit under the ministry of Dr. Jack Hyles. In those early days of the college the majority of students did not come from a Christian school or homeschool background and they were not eighteen or nineteen year olds. The majority were mature married men with families. In fact, in those days, it seems that churches all across this nation were producing preacher boys who were not really boys at all, but men with families and careers. My peers in college were men who had to work full time jobs not merely in order to pay for their college, but to support a family as well.
To be honest, if I was facing that same decision today, I doubt I would move my family to sit under another man’s ministry, not because they are not good men, but because they are not Jack Hyles. He was the draw to those us back then. It was like coming for a four year Pastor’s School degree. We wanted to study the man and his ministry.
There are many fine Independent Baptist colleges today, but there is a drastic difference from those early days at Hyles Anderson. Most of these colleges are populated by young people who graduated from Christian school or were Homeschooled. The number of married students has fallen to negligible numbers in most of them. In fact, many of these colleges are being fed by youth conferences. As a result it seems fewer and fewer mature married men are preparing for ministry. In fact, it seems to me that we are seeing fewer and fewer married men surrender to full time ministry in our churches because our emphasis has turned to the youth. Because these colleges are emphasizing youth they have also had to turn their attention from primarily providing a preparation ground for preachers to offering a wide variety of secular degrees for those who do not feel the call to full time service. As I look at the landscape of this nation I feel there is a void that has been left and that is what led me to my vision for to begin an Online College.
Announcing Independent Baptist Online College
Classes Beginning in the Fall of 2015
Here are some of the distinctives of Independent Baptist Online College.
- It will be ministry oriented.
- It will be taught by those with extensive experience in ministry. We will bring some amazing teachers to the classroom via the online format.
- It will primarily be for mature and married men and will offer them excellent training without needing to move their families or quit their jobs.
- It will place an emphasis on the local church pastor leading in the training of his lay preachers.
- It will not be in competition with other independent Baptist colleges. We are not seeking to replace but to supplement.
- It will be a place where men already in the ministry can further or perhaps finish their education.
- It will be convenient but not easy. We will demand excellence and faithfulness from students.
- It will be easily accessible and affordable. If a student cannot attend at the time it is given they will be able to take the course at another time.
- It will be unapologetically fundamental, Baptist, unaccredited, and King James only.
- It will allow us to avail ourselves of many great Christian leaders to teach courses without needing to leave their homes.
- It will focus mainly on preparing men for building churches. Obviously we will allow others to take classes but the main focus will be on ministry training.
- It will place an emphasis on the local pastor planting churches using his own preacher boys. Instruction will be made available not only for the students, but also for the sponsoring pastor.
Independent Baptist Online College will begin by offering a four year degree, with future plans of offering advanced degrees. All classes will be taught online and will offer students an opportunity for live or prerecorded classes.
To oversee the operation of the Independent Baptist Online College we have selected Dr. Jeffrey Smale as President. Dr. Smale has a passion for training preachers as well as experience as the College Administrator for Lone Star Baptist College in Mesquite, Texas. Dr. Smale has pastored for over twenty-five years and is currently the pastor of Victory Baptist Temple in Elyria, Ohio. He brings with him not only the experience of a seasoned pastor, but also a passion for training preachers.
Some may wonder why Dr. Russell Anderson and myself would start another Bible college when many dear preacher friends around the country operate good independent Baptist colleges. Please know that I strongly support these other colleges and do not want to be in competition with them. Instead I believe that Independent Baptist Online College will supplement and even compliment these other colleges.
Soon you will be able to go to www.ibaptistcollege.org and discover all that we have to offer. You will find that we are dedicated to preserve the principles of fundamentalism, independence, Baptist heritage and distinctives in a unique and up to date way.
Dr. Bob Gray, Sr & Dr. Russel AndersonCo-Founders